After many hours of searching for a complicated solution for synchronizing a calendar with my new iPod Classic 80GB, I found how to do it manually. Why I would want to do that is still up for debate. At this point the reason is, well, because.
The trick is that you have to use iTunes to set disk access on to get to the device's folders. The iPod shows up like any other hard drive, usb stick, or virtual drive. A few minutes of mucking about in the folder structure reveals the Calendars folder. hmmm.....
"What if I just drag an .ics file into the folder?", I said to myself. hmmm.... Here are the instructions step by step:
- Fire up a handy dandy Mozilla Sunbird calendar app
- Add an event and a task or two
- Save the calendar as MyCalendar.ics
- Connect the iPod up to the PC
- Drop that .ics file into the Calendars folder
- Disconnect the iPod
- wait.... wait.... wait...
- Navigate to the Extras/Calendars and see the events and tasks there!
Now delete the file from the iPod to remove the Calendar and manually push a new file to get updates.
(Note: Your mileage may vary)